Citrus Salad with Horseradish, Pistachios, and Sumac
- 3-4 pounds mixed citrus (blood orange, cara cara orange, tangerine, mandarin, etc)
- 3 tablespoons high quality white wine vinegar (we use Katz, based out of CA)
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 1/2 cup thinly sliced red onion
- 1 cup pistachios, lightly toasted and chopped
- 1/4 pound fresh horseradish, peeled
- High quality sea salt such as Jacobsen or Maldon
- Sumac to garnish
Cut all of the skin and pitch from the citrus. Then cut crosswise into "windows" about 1/3" thick. Arrange on a plate to hold them all, a little bit of overlapping is fine.
Spread the sliced onion evenly over the citrus. Sprinkle the vinegar over the citrus, followed by the olive oil.
Liberally grate the horseradish using a microplane. I'm a horseradish freak, so I like it really heavy, but put as much as feels right to you. Sprinkle the chopped pistachios around, and finish with a generous pinch of sumac on top.