My 2.5 year old son calls these oooooovernight oats and asks for them 6 out of 7 days of the week. This is our favorite version, but the recipe is merely a template. Add dried fruit or swirl in a nut butter, add crunchy pepitas just before serving, try different sweeteners. There’s tons to play with here.
- 2 cups old fashioned rolled oats
- 2 cups milk or water (I use whole milk, but almond milk works as does water)
- Pinch of kosher salt
- 1/2 cup unsweetened shredded coconut (optional)
- 1 pint fresh blueberries or raspberries
- 1 peach, thinly sliced
- Glug or drizzle of maple syrup or honey
- 1/2 cup dried apricots
- 1/4 cup pepitas or almonds
- 1/2 cup chocolate chips
- 1/4 cup almond or peanut butter
In a large bowl, mix oats, liquid, and salt together until all the oats are wet and soaking in the liquid. Stir in shredded coconut. Cover bowl and leave in refrigerator overnight, or at least 8 hours.
Just before serving, stir the oat mixture to re-combine everything. Mix in toppings, add preferred sweetener, and stir to combine everything. Divide into bowls and enjoy!